I dig nachos. A lot. These are a delicious summer, fresh meal and in my opinion are a great stand in for nachos. Goes great with margaritas too!
Black Bean Tostadas with Avocado & Red Cabbage
1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained)
1/4 cup prepared salsa fresca (you can definately make 1/2 of this recipe but I don’t recommend it…it won’t stick around long either way)
2 T nonfat plain yogurt
1 cup finely diced red cabbage
2 T minced fresh cilantro
2 T finely diced white onion
1 T fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1 medium avocado diced
4 corn tortillas
Queso fresca (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place tortillas directly on oven rack and cook for approx. 5 minutes on each side.
2. Mash together the black beans and yogurt in a small bowl. Add salsa fresca to black bean mixture.
3. In another bowl, mix together red cabbage, cilantro, onion, lime juice, cumin, salt and avocado.
4. Spread black bean mixture onto cooked tortilla and top with cabbage mixture.
5. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Sometimes I prefer to warm the bean mixture before spreading it on the tortilla, but this is also excellent cold. If you have extra corn tortillas I would suggest brushing them with a little olive oil and salt, cutting into quarters and baking until crisp in the oven…you’ll probably have leftover salsa and fresh, warm tortilla chips are a great compliment to fresh, cold salsa.