These are a great cheap and easy meal to have on hand, I make them on an almost weekly basis. I like to eat them with a little crumbled feta cheese and green hot sauce. They’re great with some sauteed vegetables in a tortilla too. Eat them cold or hot.
Lentils and Rice
Makes approximately 6 cups/serving size 1/2 cup
3/4 cup dry lentils
3/4 cup brown rice
4 cups tap water
4 bouillon cubes
1 T. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. onion powder*
1/2 tsp. garlic powder*
1. Boil water in a 2 qt. saucepan
2. As the water is heating, add the lentils, rice, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder
3. Bring to a nice fast boil.
4. Reduce heat to a low boil
5. Place a lid on the lentils and allow the mixture to simmer about 45-50 minutes. The water should be mostly absorbed by this time.
*You may substitute chopped onion and fresh garlic for the onion and garlic powder if you prefer.