Lately I’ve been learning to use the grill for much more than the traditional burger and chicken fare. It’s really fun for me to push my idea of what is “grillable” …apparently everything is, and you don’t need a bread machine, or even an oven, to make fantastic fresh bread for your dinner. This flatbread is a great addition to Grill Friendly Black Bean Burgers.
Fresh Grilled Flatbread
1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1 T. olive oil
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1. Place warm water in a medium bowl and sprinkle yeast on top; stir to dissolve, then set aside for 5 minutes or so until the yeast is foamy.
2. Add olive oil, flour and salt. Mix to combine.
3. Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface, knead 2 minutes until elastic.
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let sit in a warm place for 30 minutes.
5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, divide into 4 equal pieces and roll out each piece to approx. 6″ rounds.
6. Lightly brush one side of each of the rounds and place them oiled side down onto the hot grill.
7. Grill for about two minutes (it will start to bubble up a little bit) and then brush the side that’s facing up with olive oil, flip and grill for another two minutes. Serve warm.