There was concern from a friend of mine recently that all the recipes on here were of the vegetarian nature. I am not a vegetarian, but during the summer months I find that a lot of my meals become naturally vegetarian. I find that this dish suits itself a little better to a cool fall/winter evening as it does require cranking up the oven; but it is one of my favorite dishes (adapted from all places…a Costco cookbook!) and I certainly don’t want to leave it out of here right now just because it’s beautiful out. This one’s for you L. 🙂
Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Chicken Breasts
4 chicken breast halves
1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, chopped*
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 T chopped fresh Italian parsley and more for garnish if desired
fresh garlic cloves (to taste preference)
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Combine artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 2T parsley in a small bowl.
3. Cut a lengthwise pocket into each chicken breast
4. Stuff chicken breasts with the filling and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper
5. Coat the surface of a large ovenproof** saute pan with olive oil and heat on medium-high.
6. Place chicken breasts in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn gently and cook other side for 3-4 minutes.
7. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Transfer chicken and pan juices to plates and garnish with chopped parsley.
*if you’re buying the canned variety, take a look at what they’re packed in, some are packed in oil and some are in water – I strongly prefer the water packed ones)
**If your pan isn’t oven proof, just be sure to cover any plastic handles with tinfoil before placing in the oven.
This recipe is also delicious with a little bit of chopped or shredded cheese added to the artichoke and pepper mixture! Be sure not to overcook the chicken in the oven, if you do the cheese will just melt into the pan.