As you know, I love the Black Bean Burger recipe from Monty’s Blue Plate Diner In Madison, and I’ve taken the finished product to many BBQ’s to throw on the grill. The only drawback to that recipe is that they must be completely cooked first and usually frozen before they can be put on the grill. These burgers, on the other hand, can be made up and thrown directly on the grill. They hold up perfectly and are excellent topped with some tzatziki and served up with Fresh Grilled Flatbread.
Grill-Friendly Black Bean Burger
1 1/2 cups black beans (15 ounce can) drained
1/4 block extra firm tofu, crumbled
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 T chunky salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Ok…I like things with a little more kick to them, so I add the ingredients below as well. They are all optional, do what you like, experiment.
1-2 T chopped pickled jalapenos
more hot sauce
2 cloves chopped garlic
1. Using a fork, mash the drained beans in a medium bowl
2. Drain the tofu (press between kitchen towels if you’d like) crumble with a fork or your fingers and add to the beans
3. Mix in bread crumbs, salsa, hot sauce, cumin and optional ingredients. Season with salt and pepper if desired
4. Using moistened hands, shape the bean mixture into two 3.5 to 4.5 inch diameter patties (these are big burgers!)
5. Prepare the grill (med-high heat) Brush the grill rack vegetable oil. Grill the burgers until heated through – about 3 minutes on each side.